Starboard Sidelight, Double Lens
In 1846, the U.K. Parliament enacted the Steam Navigation Act, which was based on the London, Trinity House rules of 1840. The Admiralty regulations regarding lights for steam ships were included in this statute in 1848. By 1858, coloured sidelights were recommended for sailing vessels, with the colour being green for the starboard side and red for the port side.
This large double lens starboard sidelight is made from copper and brass and was probably manufactured in the 1970's.
It has a two thick green glass Fresnel lenses, and the light source for each lens is a 110V a.c. 60W light globe. The internal wiring is still intact, but the original external supply cables have been cut off to render the light inoperable.
The light could be restored to working order (for domestic use only) by installing new cables with three pin plugs to suit operation with either a 110V/120V a.c. or 220/240V a.c..supply. However this would also require the light to be tested for electrical safety by a registered technician (POA).
The light could also be polished and lacquered for an additional fee (POA).
Starboard Sidelight Double Lens - SOLD
Send to Friend
Ship's Wheel, Teak and Brass - 8 Spoke, 72 cm (28.3") Diameter
This item is no longer available.