Bow Port Sidelight, Alderson & Gyde Ltd.
In 1846, the U.K. Parliament enacted the Steam Navigation Act, which was based on the London, Trinity House rules of 1840. The Admiralty regulations regarding lights for steam ships were included in this statute in 1848. By 1858, coloured sidelights were recommended for sailing vessels, with the colour being green for the starboard side and red for the port side.
This bow port sidelight is made from copper and brass and was manufactured in the 1940's by Alderson & Gyde Ltd., Birmingham. The nameplate reads BOW PORT PATT 23, and the manufacturer's logo is stamped on the back of the burner, however the date of manufacture has been filed off for some reason.
It has a thick glass Fresnel lens and a red glass filter and concave polished reflector inside. The oil burner also has a concave polished reflector fitted and it has a large oil reservoir with adjustment for two separate wicks.
The copper back plate is not original.
The lantern could be polished and lacquered for an additional fee (POA). Here's what it would look like if it was polished:
Fig. 1: Polished Bow Port Sidelight
Bow Port Sidelight - SOLD